Post Early

Its that time of year again. Just as I was looking forward to a well earned period of R&R, I realised that it was about time I got started on my Christmas cards. Every year I try to get going early enough to avoid my annual manic week of printing, spray mounting and guillotining but I always somehow fail. I started the design process this morning and have so far got nowhere fast.

I always kid myself that there is plenty of time and then, out of the blue, greetings from the regular post early brigade, elderly to a man, start to drop unerringly through the letter box. The only thing that will foil them this year is that thanks to the builders, we no longer have a letter box. Our poor postie, a nice but slow man, has been confused for weeks. I think we’ll have to hang a Tescos bag on the door handle or he’ll never cope. We might get our door back I suppose, which would neatly solve his dilemma but I’m not holding my breath. There are no builders here today for instance.

Anyway, at least I’ve made a start and I will have more time now as things at DCA are winding down. I did my second staff talk this week which felt unequivocally  like a summing up of the project. I showed my film, finished at last, which I think went down well and I spoke about all I felt I’d achieved through the residency. Which is quite a bit actually. I was also filmed taking about my work for the DCA web site, so a busy very vocal day on Monday and a very horse voice as a result.

Tuesday was thankfully a nice relaxing therapy day with Liz, which was just as well as Wednesday was mayhem. A gang of way too boisterous plasterers arrived at ten to eight to deal with the Artex in the living room. All the furniture had to be shifted out and piled up in front of my computer so that they could scrape the vile stuff off to the strains of radio two, laughing and joking at volume about the youngest, most heavily tattooed one having the same name as  our dog. What fun. We went out and left them to it to return at 2.00 to find blissful silence and a nice, new, smooth plaster ceiling. It’s drying out well now and makes the room look much bigger.

Yesterday I returned to the Print Studio for what I thought would be the final printing push with my plates from Dawson’s etching class but despite Rob’s best efforts, we didn’t quite make it so I’m booked in for another session. The prints look OK though so I’m pondering more etching projects, it’ll have to be next year now.

About mssmith57

I'm an artist and novice blogger. I love books, good food, red wine and jazz. I also have M.S. so I write about the practicalities of life as a disabled artist. It might be challenging but its not all grim! My work's quite jolly really.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s